What Is Electromagnetic Radiation?
What Is Dirty Electricity?
Are EMFs Dangerous?
The majority of EMF safety guidelines around the world are based on the ICNIRP or IEEE recommendations (the ICNIRP guidelines are most stringent as they are international, and IEEE are American). The USA has no federal limits (a few states have set their own exposure limits, mainly related to power lines).
However, there is a growing body of evidence linking ongoing exposure to EMFs to negative effects on health. The BioInitiative Report contains a comprehensive collection of published research. Even the National Cancer Institute and the World Health Organization have sections of their websites devoted to EMFs and cancer:
- Studies have shown EMF exposure above 2 mG will start to develop biological stress in humans
- Evidence links prolonged exposure to levels between 2 and 12+ mG with cancer and possible immune system effects
- Exposure to 12 mG suppresses the human hormone melatonin (critical for sleep, mood regulation, and overall health)
Here are some common symptoms of EMF:
- Fatigue, Weakness
- Brain Fog, Concentration
- Depression, Anxiety
- Memory Loss
- Visual Problems, Light Sensitivity
- Skin Problems
- Heart Palpitations
How To Use An EMF/R Meter
Warch Oram Miller (Certified Building Biology Environmental Consultant) complete a home audit of some normal issue areas:
What are the modes and what do they mean?
Gauss Meter Mode.
This is measured in LF600 (low sensitivity) / LF 30 (high sensitivity). This is also most commonly referred to as EMF (Electromagnetic Frequencies).
Things to test:
- Low-frequency AC magnetic fields and electric fields electrical devices in your home such as:
- electric hairdryer,
- clock radio,
- dishwasher etc,
- electrical powerlines,
- your house wiring,
- electrical substation EMFs
What is the difference between LF600 and LF30? LF30 has a lower frequency range. LF600 has higher frequency range.
This is measured in “RF.” This is also most commonly referred to as EMR (wireless radiation)
Things to test:
- Cell phones and smartphones
- Smart meters and smart appliances in the home
- Bluetooth devices
- Cell phone towers (mobile base stations)
- Microwave ovens
- Wireless routers and modems
- Cordless (DECT) phones
- Spy cameras
- Digital baby monitors
- Digital TV
- A/V Sender Receivers
- Wireless burglar alarms
- Wireless video games (Playsation, Xbox and the like)
How To Use The Device
A good thing to do before each investigation, if you can, is to calibrate your meter. Calibrating is done with two identical EMF readers. Turn on your readers. Place your first reader on the ground in an area where there is no movement of the needle or change in the digital display. Place the second one about a foot away. They should read the same. Pick a few spots to try this.
Hold Waist High
Remove Your Cell Phone/Take Off Your Smartwatch
Take Baseline Readings
Take readings inside an outside.
Follow The Spikes
EMF spikes can be man-made or paranormal. Move your reader up, down, right, left, forward, and backward to identify the area with the strongest signal
Start Taking Measurements
Once you have your meter, you should turn it on, and start taking measurements. Because the power of electromagnetic radiation diminishes exponentially with distance, you will want to take many measurements, in different locations.
Obviously, you should start in those places where you spend the most time— for instance, around your bed, or near your living room couch. You should also perform tests at different times of day; for example, there may be higher levels in the evening than during the afternoon (if, for example, your neighbor, with whom you share a wall, turns on his TV when he gets home at night).
Once you know where your high readings are coming from, you can make adjustments. For example, if your living room couch is exposed to relatively high levels of power, then consider moving your couch; alternatively, find the source of the emissions (perhaps a nearby WiFi router) and find a new location for that.
What Are EMF/EMR Readings Should I Be Aware Of?
The BioInitiative Working Group has been prepared by 29 authors from ten countries*, ten holding medical degrees (MDs), 21 PhDs, and three MsC, MA or MPHs. Their findings include that environmental exposures to artificial EMFs can interact with fundamental biological processes in the human body that can lead to various health issues. Here is a link to their color chart.
- RF levels during your day (times when you are awake) should be 0.1 mW/m2 or less
- RF levels at night (times when you are asleep) should be 0.01 mW/m2 or less
- LF30 high sensitivity magnetic fields levels should be 0.1 mW/m2 or less
How To Test Dirty Electricity
Click to measure dirty electricity
What EMF Detector Should You Buy?
I purchased a Cornet ED88T PLUS Electrosmog Meter for $180 from stopsmartmeters.org.
EMF Action Plan
- Get wired
- Check your car for EMFs
- Turn off wifi at night or get rid of it completely
- Correct any electrical wiring errors in my home and make sure pipes/sprinklers are not carrying an electric current
- Unplug any electrical cords or poorly shielded coaxial cables that might be producing electromagnetic fields
- In living areas where there is a very high localized level of EMFs, consider rearranging furniture or moving away from walls
- Don’t stand next to my microwave — ever — and stay 10 feet away when it is running. Unplug a microwave when not in use — or better yet, get rid of it
- Use a Bluetooth headset but turn it off when it isn’t needed
- Use a corded landline
- Blue light at night confuses the pineal gland and affects melatonin production, making it hard to fall asleep. (Plus, low melatonin production is highly linked to cancer risk.)
- Ground yourself often, by standing barefoot or lying down on Earth (grass or dirt)
- Certain lightbulbs (CFL’s, the swirly bulbs that contain mercury) put out lots of EMF and emit 70% of their mercury into the environment within the first 3 days after installing. Replace with Incandescent bulbs (around $45 for a 24-pack) instead. LED bulbs (around $20 for an 8-pack) are the second-best option but test them with your Trifield Meter, because some brands are better than others
- Consider getting filters for dirty electricity (1, 2)
- Keep your distance from electronics of keeping them off
- Do not use wireless devices inside metal enclosures because they need to work harder to get a signal
- Replace your homes smart meter
- Avoid small and large cell phone towers
- Always put my cellphone and tablet into airplane mode before going to bed and never place any electronics or nnEMF sources near my bed
- Never carry my cellphone in my pocket or place directly on my body or head
- Be careful trusting trendy preventative options like shungite
- Avoid sitting near a fall that shares a refrigerator
- Buy an EMF Canopy from Alibaba
- Radiation Free Headsets
- Safe Living Technologies
- Air tube headsets
- Power Line Meter
- HARApad for a laptop