Your Client: “I have a question for you.”
The Expert: “Here is my solution…”
The Coach: “Let me ask you… What do you think? What do you see?”
“The Coaching Habit: Say Less, Ask More & Change the Way You Lead Forever Paperback” by Michael Bungay Stanie suggests these questions:
- The Kick Start Question: “What’s on your mind?”
- A.W.E. Question: “And what else?”
- Focus Question: “What’s the real challenge here for you?”
- Foundation Question: “What do you want?” How do you describe the problem? How do you describe the solution This is what it means to me?
- Lazy Question: “How can I help?” or “What do you want from me?”
- Strategic Question: “If you say yes to this, what must you say no to?”
- Learning Question: “What was most useful or most valuable here for you?”
Coach Spencer Burnett suggest this framework:
- What new beliefs do you need to hold as true to move forward?
What the the immeiate next action steps
How do you need to be held accountable?
- What happens if this doesn’t go as planned
- How do you want to be treated when that happens