California’s department of health released guidelines warning people that the only safe way to use a cell phone is to text; avoiding putting a mobile phone up to their heads.
The World Health Organization report came out with a report in 2011 that classified cell phones as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”
The following article from qz.com is a great summary.
What can I do to protect myself?
- Avoid holding it up to your head by using the speakerphone or sending texts
- Bluetooth and wired headphones emit less radiation and remove them when you aren’t using them
- If you watch video on your phone, keep the phone away from your head and body
- Carry your phone in a bag or backpack instead of your pocket (yes, your bra is a terrible place to keep a phone)
- Switch your phone to airplane mode if you are watching or listening to content
- Keep your phone in another room at night instead of falling asleep next to it
- The only time you should have your phone in your pocket is when it is off
- Products that claim to “shield radiation” may make a phone work harder to acquire a signal making these problems worse.